WILD DOGS: The Second Awakening

Greetings, human race! This is your pal Genevieve Mariani, illustrator extraordinaire, rider of motorcycles, climber of mountains, and fighter for equality of all species.


Photo by Howl & Rose
www.howlandrose.com

I am here to introduce you to Wild Dogs Co., again. Two years ago I terminated my business, Wild Dogs Co. to take a job at a design company. The salary - the health insurance, it was all so shiney! I made a few cool designs, that I didn't get paid nearly enough for . . . but my work was at Urban Outfitters, Forever 21 - companies I did not agree morally with . . . BUT HECK! It seemed like it might be worth it? Praise be to whoever, they laid me off. At the time I found this devastating, but it was truly a blessing. I went on to work for Harley-Davidson for a year or so. While this had seemingly nothing to do with my creative or moral compass, it DID fuel my knowledge of motorcycles, ability to ride, and this in turn became great inspiration.

My precious machine.
Photo by Howl & Rose

Long story short, I cracked up and quit. I could no longer work for someone else, nor could I stand another moment of wasting my existence working for solely selfish purposes (making money).

I need to work with animals, I need to be outside, and I need to be of service, most of all. SO, I resolved to begin taking illustration commissions again, and to kickstart Wild Dogs Co. back into action. That brings us to the reason I am writing to you; my new mission statement. It involves two things; protection of wild lands, and canine rescue.

© Genevieve Mariani
WolfConnection.org

YES, I am going to be making shirts and wearable goods. Their themes will revolve around protecting our National Parks, treating other species fairly, and living to your utmost personal best. I hope to use the funds from these pieces to fuel my ULTIMATE goal - starting a rescue of large, misunderstood dogs. Ie., pit bulls, shepherds, huskies - the type who are often mistakenly desired without full comprehension, and returned to rescues - if not abused and traumatized unintentionally while doing so.

That being said, I am studying dog training in the way of positive reinforcement training. I am shadowing a highly reputable and experienced trainer and working on possibly getting one or several certifications. I hope to be able to use the skills I gain to eventually start a rescue, if not simply to improve my work at Wolf Connection. One of two designs I will be initially offering is called "Toby," and it is a likeness of my dog, Toby (duh). He is the dog who introduced me to canine behavior and positive reinforcement training.

© Genevieve Mariani


My other design spawns from another passion - our nation's wild lands, the National Parks and Forests. I believe I truly found myself among them, and that it is of the utmost importance that we protect and cherish them. Their ecosystems hold the keys that give this very planet life - as well as provide spiritual, physical, and emotional release for countless humans. Thus, my second design is called "Our Father," and it is a portrait of John Muir. He is the "Father of the National Parks," who has single-handedly done more to protect them than possibly any person alive today.

© Genevieve Mariani

While I shall take you further in depth to both these concepts once they are printed - I wanted to share everything with you as I set up my new/old business. You can see my previous work on my Instagram and Facebook pages, as I decided to keep it up - it's what brought me to where I am now!

Follow me, friends! I promise it won't be boring.



Comments